Countryside, Windmills, Cheese & Wine Tour
The lovely Dutch countryside and a day spent exploring authentic Dutch sights awaits. You’ll be in a small and sociable tour of maximum 8 people.
Cost: €99 per person
Tour size: 8 people
Duration: About 6 hours
- 6 hours exploring the beautiful Dutch countryside
- We guide you around the quaint streets of Monnickendam, an unspoiled old harbour town
- Enjoy excellent Dutch Apple pie and coffee on us in a very very old building.
- We take you inside explain how a working windmill operates
- Lunch is included in the form of a cheese and wine picnic
- Travel countryside back roads through a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Guided by Mark or Rory, two of Amsterdam’s best-reviewed guides
In a minivan with 8 people max, we’ll first travel through charming polders north of Amsterdam. The Dutch waged a centuries-long battle with nature to win this land back from the sea, and boy was it worth it. Low-lying and with water channels cutting through green countryside, you’ll find yourself admiring a landscape that famously inspired the likes of Rembrandt and Van Gogh.
We’ll amble through the history-lined streets of the quaint harbour village of Monnickendam, stopping for coffee and apple pie at the historic orphanage (don’t worry, it’s a lovely café now!).
KAAS. Cheese. Queso. Fromage. Käse. Formaggio.
Say it as you will, the Dutch are famous for their cheese and we’ll taste 4 varieties of their beloved Beemster brand. Naturally, where there’s cheese there must also be wine (that’s an actual European law – we think!) and we’ll accompany it with a nice glass of vino.
Beemster cheese gets its name from the region of the same name. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and we’ll drive through it taking in some of Holland’s finest and most historic windmills. You’ll see them clustered in twos and threes and we’ll visit one in nearby Schemerhorn. It’s a fully working windmill that dates from about 1612 and you’ll get to explore the inside of it. Hope for a windy day as the machinery is at its most fascinating when the wind’s blowing.
All this while being guided by Mark or Rory. We limit these countryside tours to just 8 people so we can go to places that big buses cannot!
The tour takes about 6 hours, possibly a bit more, if we depart from our set route a little if there’s a good reason to take the road less traveled.
How much does it cost? €99 per person
It starts at 9am
What does that include?
- Transport from a central Amsterdam location (and back again!).
- Entrance to the windmill
- Cheese tasting picnic with a glass of wine
- Coffee and apple pie in Monnickendam
- Personal guiding by Mark or Rory
Pick up point: Outside the Barbizon Palace Hotel, opposite Amsterdam Central Station. There is a photo of the start point and us in the confirmation email that you get when you book.
Age / Height Restriction
Children up to the age of 12 are required to have child seats. If the child is 1.35 metres / 4 feet and 5 inches or taller, the age restriction does not apply. We can arrange booster seats, but not baby seats, you must contact us about this before booking otherwise we won’t have them on board.
We’ve pondered a lot about this and because of the costs involved and planning, we can’t refund last minute cancellation so here is the deal:
If you cancel:
- more than 2 weeks in advance then you immediately receive a full refund.
- between 1 and 2 weeks in advance and immediately receive a 50% refund. You get the other 50% as well if we can resell your places.
- during the last week then there is no automatic refund but you get a full refund if we can sell your places
All refunds above are less any bank charges if there are any.
Click through to the Booking Calendar using the green button below to see what tours are available for booking.